Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sad News

Well, sad news for me anyway.

Let's give a little background info shall we: My older sister Meredith is teaching English in S. Korea for a year. She left at the end of February and was scheduled to return at the end of March 2009. We were all really sad that she was going at first, but as she has been there longer and longer and made friends and enjoys what she is doing - my family and all her friends realized that it is actually a very good experience for her, and we were all surprised that she loves teaching 4 year old children to speak English, when she does not speak on lick of Korean. O.k. So I am happy for her and her life experience of living in Korea, but I am definitely looking forward to her coming home.

This morning she calls me because she has found out some information through facebook that she was unaware of, and it upset her that we didn't tell her these things like 1. My parent's got a BMW (mid life crisis?) 2. My little sister got 2 tattoos when she turned 18, 3. My brother also got a tattoo of a fish. O.k., so we were discussing these things, nothing out of the ordinary. I was telling her that I was excited for her to come home because then we can go to the cabin and hang out, and the girls' weekend up there just wasn't the same without her, blah, blah, blah - then came the bomb.

She informed that she extended her contract to go through August 2009. I am thinking, OK... that is fine. It's just 6 months longer, no big deal. Next, she also told me that she was going to be home for a months. I was like SWEET! She is going to stay in MN for an entire month before she goes back to Buffalo, NY (where her boyfriend lives). Then came the sad part. She then informed me that she wasn't going back to Buffalo, but going to Turkey to teach English there for a year.
I guess I will just never see her again. She is frustrated that my family never talks to her about things, she doesn't like the economy here in the U.S., and if John McCain wins the election that it totally going to seal the deal.

It was rather hard information to get at 7 o'clock in the a.m. It's hard to sit here at work and not think about it.

Am I being selfish? I mean she really likes to travel, she likes teaching English - just not in the U.S., and these types of jobs pay pretty good salary. It all seems great right? Well, except for the fact that I NEVER GET TO SEE HER!

I am totally being selfish - but I actually like my sisters, and she is super fun.

Oh well, such is life. I can't control what she does, I can only control what I do.

I am just glad tomorrow is FRIDAY!

No comments: