Thursday, January 14, 2010

Use A Strategy For Happiness

Hello All,

Continuing on the journey to happiness:

From 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People, by David Niven, Ph. D


Simple Secret Number Two: Use A Strategy For Happiness

We assume that happy and unhappy people are born that way. But both kinds of people do things that create and reinforce their moods. Happy people let themselves be happy. Unhappy people continue doing things that upset them.

This one is a problem of mine. There are so so so may good things in my life. I have a wonderful family, and loving husband great friends - and instead of focusing on those things, the good things I dwell on arguments, hurtful words spoken or stressful situations. They just keep replaying in my mind, and consume my thoughts and I fester. Fester and Rot Rot Rot Rot (can you name what movie that is from?)



For example: Recently it seems that the department I work in has become a baby factory. I seriously felt at one time that everyone I have a connection with in the office was expecting a baby. I truly am so happy for all of them. But, instead of letting that happiness shine through, I focused on the fact that I am not having a baby. I would not totally oppose the idea, actaully Greg and I have talked quite a bit about it. Alas, the time is just not right for Greg and I and we know that - but its just hard for me when I am constantly reminded of this at the place I spend the majority of my day. But in all seriousness, I really am thrilled for those I work with. A baby is such a blessing and a miracle.
Its sad that I have become a person who immediately jumps to the negative, instead of looking for the good. All of these negative things are just moments in a lifetime where the good far out weighs the bad. Here I am continuing in my personal growth to happiness, and it feels good! I hope all of you can apply this secret in your lives.



I am going to once again leave you with a picture of something that makes me happy. I hope you enjoy it :0)



Puppies have to be one of the cutest things on earth - and this one is particularily close to my heart. Love




1 comment:

The Beals said...

I don't know what movie that's from but I do know that I completely agree with the fact that unhappy people keep doing things that make them unhappy. Being Happy is surely a choice and a perspective of life.

Good for you for making that conscious decision to look at the happier things in life. It's hard but it makes life SO much easier and more worth it. :)